Posted by Elena from Gaia Storm on 7/22/2022 to Deck Lists
Hello everyone! This is Elena from Gaia Storm TCG, and welcome to another article here at the amazing PoTown Store blog. Have you ever wanted to play a deck that can virtually hit for a ton of different weaknesses and that has a very unique style of play? Search no more because today we are going to be looking at one of the best one-prizer decks in the entire format: Regigigas and its friends.
Legendary Pokémon… Assemble!
If you read the different “Regi” cards (that is, Regidrago, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Regigigas and Regieleki) that we currently have in the Standard format separately, you will probably think that they are just a pile of garbage. And yes, they don’t seem to be very playable at all because, even if they have some interesting attacks, they require an absurd amount of energy to execute them. It is almost impossible to power them up in time… or is it? Once you are able to gather the six Infinity Stones Regi cards in play, their true potential will be unleashed. Let’s see the list.
|2x Regigigas ASR 130||4x Professor's Research BRS 147||4x Capture Energy RCL 171|
|2x Regidrago ASR 118||2x Marnie CPA 56||4x Aurora Energy SSH 186|
|2x Regirock ASR 75||2x Cynthia's Ambition BRS 138||2x Speed Lightning Energy RCL 173|
|2x Regieleki EVS 60||2x Boss's Orders BRS 132||1x Twin Energy RCL 174|
|2x Registeel ASR 108||4x Ordinary Rod SSH 171|
|2x Regice ASR 37||4x Quick Ball FST 237|
|4x Scoop Up Net RCL 165|
|4x Ultra Ball BRS 150|
|2x Hisuian Heavy Ball ASR 146|
|2x Energy Loto ASR 140|
|2x Choice Belt BRS 135|
|3x Path to the Peak CRE 148|
|2x Jubilife Village ASR 148|
Regigigas is the card that makes everything work, the true engine. Released in Astral Radiance, Regigigas has a very special ability that allows you to attach up to three energies from your discard pile to any Regi in play (including itself). However, Ancient Wisdom can only be used when all the rest of the Regis are in the field. Therefore, as you might have guessed, the deck is built and designed to always maintain the six members of the gang in the field and continuously use Regigigas' ability to attack over and over.
In order to do that, we need a lot of searching cards. That’s why we run a very high count of Balls plus four copies of capture energy. Remember that all the Regis except Regidrago can also search for other Regis with their first attack.
Once you keep the deck rolling, the strategy is pretty solid and difficult to counter.
- To begin with, you have access to six different attackers that can hit very hard depending on the situation. Don’t forget that weakness is a very important factor in Pokémon TCG, so having the possibility to promote an attacker that can potentially KO a VSTAR with just a hit is pretty powerful. For example, Regirock can kill Arceus VSTAR with a Choice Belt and Regieleki can do the same thing with Palkia VSTAR (which many people consider the Best Deck in Format). The rest of the Regis are not that powerful but can still be used depending on the situation. Regice for example, can buy you some precious time against V-based decks.
- All your Pokémon only give one prize when they fall, so you are forcing your opponent to get at least 6 KOs to win. This means the price race will typically be in your favour, as most decks right now run either Pokémon VSTAR or Pokémon VMAX (2 and 3 prizes, respectively).
- Once you send your energies to the discard pile, you don’t need to worry about replenishing them because Regigigas will do it for you.
But things are far from perfect when it comes to playing Regigigas & Friends, and the deck can suffer under certain situations.
- The first turns can be a struggle. You need to set up all your 6 Regis and discard at least a couple of energies to the discard pile as soon as possible. The deck runs a lot of searching & discarding cards but you won’t have an explosive start. That is precisely why the list above runs a couple of Jubilife Village (Astral Radiance) to help find the resources you need.
- You need to be continuously recycling Pokémon cards. The deck runs four copies of Ordinary Rod precisely for that reason. Bear in mind that once your attacker falls, you will need to immediately put down another copy, or you won’t be able to progress in the game.
- There are cards that can completely destroy you in the blink of an eye. For instance, Flying Pikachu VMAX can be a nightmare because if you allow it to attack you, Pikachu won’t receive any damage from any Basic Pokémon. And… guess what, all Regi cards are Basic Pokémon! The same thing happens with Eiscue from Evolving Skyes. The only way to beat them is to play Escape Rope, send them back to the Bench, reset their effects, and use Boss Orders. But, of course, this is not that easy to pull off in real life. Another card you need to keep an eye on is Dreo from Chilling Reign because it will force you to discard at least 2 of your Regis, making it more difficult to recycle them during the following turn.
Arceus Variants: Unfavourable
This really depends a little bit on which player goes first and the type of Arceus Variant you are going against because there are certain Arceus Pokemon online decks that Regi can’t simply beat. Arceus with Flying Pikachu, as explained above, prevents any damage. Arceus Duraludon VMAX is also almost impossible to win against because all you run are special energy cards. Arceus Inteleon with Dreos and several Cheren’s Care can also give you a very hard time.
Palkia VSTAR: Even / Unfavourable
Palkia is probably the most popular deck right now, so be aware of the fact that you will face a lot of them during a tournament. It is true that if you play your cards right and use Regieleki, you can hit for weaknesses but Palkia can rotate their attackers pretty easily and put you in a difficult position. Also, Palkia Inteleon is probably one of the most (if not the most) consistent Pokemon online decks in the format and can always target down your Regigigas and run you out of resources.
Mew VMAX: Even / Favourable
I think this match up is not that difficult. All you need to do is to KO two Mew VMAX and ignore the rest. It is true that unless you won’t be able to get the one-hit KO, but it does not matter because the prize trade is still going to be better for you.
Blissey V: Even
This is a tricky match up. You can use your Regirock to hit Blissey for weakness, but you first need to use Boss Orders to target their Dunsparce first. If you miss that, the problem is that Blissey has access to a lot of healing cards and can become almost immortal. The only good thing is that Blissey is not very consistent, so you might have an advantage there.
Ice Rider Calyrex VMAX: Favourable
Calyrex has become an interesting option to counter all the VSTAR-based decks (mainly Palkia and Arceus), but it can’t do much against Regigigas and its friends. You can use Registeel and take a very easy KO if they evolve.
Regigigas is definitely a strategy you need to keep under your radar. It is very funny, efficient, and, most importantly, it is a super cheap Pokémon deck to build. So if you want to try it out, all you need to do is to get some PTCGO Codes here at the PoTown store and get all you need for Pokémon TCG Online or Pokémon TCG Live. Thanks for reading!
About the writer
Elena has been playing Pokémon TCG for years and leads one of the biggest TCG-dedicated channels in the world. You can find her on Youtube & Twitch (@gaiastormtcg) as well as on other social media channels. Don’t forget to check them out!